Monday, February 13, 2012

Spaghetti...Squash?

You read it right. Spaghetti squash, it's the ish. And I loooove a good Italian meal. One of my favorite parts of training for a triathlon is the few nights before when I get to carb up. Hello white pasta (which I never eat) and meatballs (not scared). But alas, if I ate like that on a regular basis I would need to be doing a triathlon a week.  I've tried whole wheat pasta which is delicious but still not the same.  I've been reading a lot of recipes that substitute spaghetti squash for real pasta and I figured, what the hell right?

Kinda just made this recipe up but it was delish, if I do say so myself.

1. Cook the spaghetti squash. Pre-heat oven to 375. Cut that bad boy open, rub some olive oil up in there and cook for 45 - 55 minutes.  Just check it and make sure it's not burning (a little char on the skin isn't too bad).  Take it out, let it cool for 5 minutes and seperate the squash meat so it looks like spaghetti.  Booya!

2. Saute the veggies in a little olive oil and then pour a half a cup of light marinara sauce in there and let simmer. 
I heart veggies.
3. Cook chicken sausage, cut into slices.

4. Throw all ingredients together and mix.

5. Cook shrimp with garlic and a little oil and place on top of the "spaghetti"

Sprinkle a little parm on top and voila - you have yourself a delicious mock-Italian meal.


XO,
zo

4 comments:

  1. Delicious dish - don't forget the brussels sprouts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spaghetti squash? I didn't know people were using that in place of pasta. Sounds like a good idea to me. I don't eat chicken, but this recipe could easily be adjusted. You are so nice for making the instructions really simple too. Thank you. I always like adding some parmesan cheese to my pasta, would that work for this dish?

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah - I sprinkled some parm and it was a great addition. Thanks for pointing out (and thanks for reading! obviously)

      Delete