Thursday, June 7, 2012

Ring My Bell

Get it? Ring my bell el el, ring my bell! Anyone? Ok I tried.  Disco may be over but how full I am from this amazing stuffed pepper recipe is not.  Before I go into any detail, let me just say, when buying the peppers for this recipe, buy small peppers, for the love buy small peppers. I obviously went for the biggest most dramatic peppers in the store and I could barely freakin' eat one (although the BF had no problem demolishing the entire thing, I'm not sure if that's a salute to my tremendous cooking or that he was just famished. I'll take it either way).

So here's the deal. I'm trying to make less trips to Whole Foods so I can pay off some of my credit card (my organic, free range, cage free, grass fed, local food issue has gotten quite out of hand). I can get ALMOST as good produce at a regular grocery store even if I don't feel as cool.  That being said, I'm trying to make healthy recipes on a budget and found a cheap, very delicious Stuffed Bell Pepper recipe. I clearly made some skinny modifications but I think it came out pretty damn awesome. Here's the Betty Crocker original recipe.

SP Stuffed Bell Peppers:
- 4 Green Bell Peppers
- 1 lb of the most lean ground beef you can get (prolly could use turkey too)
- 1 cup Homemade Brown Spanish Rice (See this first step in this recipe for the recipe - ha)
- 2 finely grated carrots
- 1 onion
- 1 can of tomato sauce (NOT pasta sauce)
- some sprinkles of your favorite cheese

Directions:
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Cut the tops off of each bell pepper (a thin cut) and gut and rinse them.

What's up Action Shot!?!?!?
- boil water in a big ass pot and make sure the water is JUST above the peppers. boil those bad boys for two minutes. (make sure the water is boiled first before you put the pepps in).
- Brown beef with onions. Once cooked add all the other ingredients and 1/2 the can of tomato sauce.
- Stuff peppers with the goodies. Pour the rest of the tomato sauce on them. Cover with some foil and cook for 8 minutes. Take the foil off, sprinkle some cheese then cook for another 15-18.


These bitches are hot so be careful taking them out and eating them.

xo,
zo

No comments:

Post a Comment