Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Post-Workout Blues

I finished 13.1. I'm not gonna lie, I'm in pain.  And by pain I mean, couldn't sleep, can't walk, knees feel like they are going to pop off my legs pain.  It ain't pretty.  So unlike me, who immediately went home and soaked in a hot epsom salt bath (bad idea), I'm going to help you with tips on how to recover from a half marathon, really long run or even just a really hard workout...the right way.

1. Eat & Hydrate! Carbs and lean protein within an hour. Example: cereal and milk, eggs and a whole wheat bagel. You need the protein to rebuild muscle tissue damage from whatever you were doing let it be running or just a really tough workout. If you postpone this it can even add time to your recovery process.  To re-hydrate I like to mix water and Powerade Zero.
2. DO NOT sit in a hot bath when you get home.  I learned that the hard way, doh! Fill your tub up with kinda warm water and then add a ton of ice. Sit for 20 minutes.
3. Take 2 Aleve. 
4. Sleep. Your body does most of it's healing during this time.
5. The next day, schedule a massage.  No need for deep tissue, that may actual hurt the healing process.  Go to a massage therapist that knows how to help athletes recover.  I went to Anne at The Art of Touch and she was amazing.  She did a great job stretching my legs (they were unbearably tight) and loosening up the muscles that were sore.  I HIGHLY recommend this place and I feel better already.
6. Congratulate yourself.  I figure I burned about 1,500 calories during my race and deserved a little treat for my accomplishment.  Thank you Grindhouse Burgers for your amazing turkey burger, fries and boozey milkshake.  This burger joint was 1/2 the cost of 5 Napkin and 1000x better (can you tell I'm still bitter about going there).
YUM!
xo, zo

1 comment: