Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Healthiest New Year

No, it's not December 31st, but if you're Jewish you're about to celebrate the New Year (unless you want to feel the guilt for the rest of the year for not celebrating, oy vey). If you're not going to services (or even if you're not Jewish) it's still good to have a resolution at any point in the year to live a healthier lifestyle. You only live once right?

That doesn't mean to binge on everything that's put in front of you.  My biggest challenge when it comes to eating is self control.  I can sit at work all day and munch on raw carrots and hummus, grilled chicken salad, veggie wraps, etc. But the minute there are cupcakes in the room I cave. I will wait 5 minutes, have an internal argument with myself as to why I shouldn't eat the cupcake and then I just can't control it and instead of having a small bite I down the entire thing in a minute. So, if you have this amazing skill they call self control, 1. I'm very jealous and 2. make sure you use this during big holiday dinners.

My survival tips:
- Back off the honey.  I get it, honey represents a sweet and happy New Year.  Use it in moderation.
- Load up on the veggies and salad. Eat them first so you get full off of the good stuff.
- Remember portion control when it comes to proteins and starches.
- Indulge in something that's really worth it. If you're a Skinny Peach you deserve to cheat once in a while. My personal fav, Honey Cake with a little vanilla ice cream. 

Now go call your mother, she misses you.

xo,
zo

No comments:

Post a Comment