Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Comfort Cuisine (Kinda)

We all want it, we just don't want the calories associated with gorging into a huge chunk of fried chicken with some deliciously gooey mac & cheese.  I was challenged with this conundrum a few weeks ago and didn't know what to do.  Do I go to Whole Foods and get the chicken fried tofu, do I just say F it and head over to South City Kitchen or do I be the Skinny Peach that I know I want to be and try to make a healthy version of this age old southern delicacy? Obviously the answer was C. try and make a healthy version.

Recipe for: Bab's Cornflake Chicken w/ Vegan Mac & Cheese

What you will need:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Chicken breasts
- Corn Flakes
- Honey
- Paprika
- Salt
- Pepper
- Garlic Powder
Directions

Chicken: Put the oil in a bowl.  Put a lot of cornflakes in a different bigger bowl and ad a few shakes of paprika as well as garlic, salt and pepper to taste (I don't like a lot). Dip the chicken breast in the oil, let a lot of it drip off.  Then place the chicken in the cornflake mixture, push down on both sides so it's totally covered and then throw it in a baking dish.  Once you've coated all of the chicken drizzle some honey on top and bake for 375 for about 30 - 45 minutes. 

Mac and Cheese: follow directions on box.  I took a look at a handful of different options and chose the vegan version with the least amount of sodium, calories and fat.  Dairy Free Shells and Cheese (what a clever name). I thought it was delicious...my boyfriend had mixed feelings.  I bought one other box but haven't tried it yet. I'll keep you posted.

Broccolini: Steam and Serve (tough one).


TA DA!!!!!!
xo ya'll,
zo

No comments:

Post a Comment