Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Airport Ingestion

Things I love about the Atlanta airport:
1. It's close to my house.
2. I get to go on a fun ride called MARTA to get there
3. It's easy to get around
4. A+ people watching

The one thing I don't love about most airports is the complete lack of healthy food options.  If you have the most amazing self-control in the the entire universe (ok that may be a little dramatic, but still) then the airport isn't a place of anxiety for you and congrats, you are superhuman. If you had a father that made you get to the airport at LEAST 2 hours in advance and are a healthy eater on top of that...welcome, anxiety attack.  Now, I will never be able to stop you (or me) from always being nervous I'm going to miss my flight (thanks dad!) but I can help lead you in the right direction when it comes to healthy airport snacks.

So, If you don't have time to make your own nutritious (not to mention money saving) snacks, look for KIND bars or Special K protein bars and drink TONS of water, all available at newstands. Here are a few options at Atlanta-Hartsfield International Airport.

Starbucks (all Concourses): Oatmeal. Steer clear of the additional brown sugar and just add nuts. They only add about 100 calories to this already 140 calorie healthy choice.


Subway (all Concourses): 6 inch whole wheat veggie sub.  They have avocado now so this makes for a super yummy sandwich.  I make mine with tons of veggies, one slice of swiss, a line of fat free honey mustard and some avocado.  All of this is only around 275 calories and 4g of fat.  If you don't want just veggie, choose a lean meat like turkey or roasted chicken.

GreatWraps (Concourse A): 7' Pita, hummus, lots of spinach, cucumber, red peppers and green peppers.  This sounds delish even right now as I'm typing. Plus, it's only 360 calories.

**Nature's Table (Concourse E): This is the gold medal winner of airport eating. They have TONS of different options that are both fresh and healthy.  I usually get the hummus, pita and fresh fruit but they have a variety of crisp salads and wraps as well.

Nature's Table Bistro - Concourse E
 NOTE: walk away from the trailmix.  It's high in fat, sodium and sugar. You'll be parched and pissed that you didn't eat something satisfying.

xo,
zo

No comments:

Post a Comment